This site has an RPG rating of:
Maelstrom is subscribed to the Jcink Premium
service. You MUST be 18 years or older to write on Maelstrom. Additionally, any characters being portrayed in sexual situations must be over 18. As our site has a rating of 3/3/3, expect to see swearing, sexual content, and violence of all levels. ENTER THE SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you need more information about the site's rating, please visit RPGrating.com
Although you must be over 18 to roleplay here, writing adult content on the site is totally optional, and up to each individual writer and his or her comfort level. If someone on the site is pressuring you to write something that you are not comfortable with, please reach out to a staff member and let us intervene. As a courtesy to your fellow writers, please try your best to tag what you feel may be potentially upsetting content with a Trigger Warning note in the topic description. Admins reserve the right to place a Trigger Warning note on threads that they feel warrant one. General Rules
- You must register an OOC account first and check in so that we can keep track of who plays who.
- When you register your OOC account username, please do not use profanity in your name. Also make sure you do not have any variation of "Guest" in your username, as that will be confusing to both Admins and Members.
- No trolling, or harassing other members on the forums or in the CBOX, Hype Box, or Discord. Racist, sexist, or homophobic comments will not be tolerated and will result in a warning and/or full site ban
- No spamming on the forums, CBOX, Hype Box, or Discord
- The CBOX is an ad-free zone where members can chat and plot. No advertising please. We have an advertising section of our forum that is guest-friendly, so if you'd like to post an ad, you can do so there.
- If you write on other sites, that's great! We encourage our members to write anywhere they want. Please do not talk excessively about other sites and link those sites in the CBOX or Discord. The chat services here are intended for Maelstrom chat and general OOC talk.
- Do not impersonate another writer on the forums or in the CBOX
- Only original characters are allowed to be roleplayed here, no crossovers allowed
- Keep all OOC content out of IC threads
- You must have at least one approved Character application to start participating in IC threads or post a Want Ad and a Plotter, or create Species and Planets. You must have a link to your application in your mini-profile. Use the "Edit Profile" setting to input the link to your sheet. Before you apply, make sure you read all the Application Rules
- Killing or mutilating another character is not allowed without express permission from your writing partner
- Be realistic in your roleplay. No godmoding or meta gaming
- Plagiarism of other writers’ work will not be tolerated
- We reserve the right to archive characters who have been inactive for over a month. This goes for their creations as well. Why do we do this? We prefer to have our members browse a Compendium filled with active players who are around to answer questions about their creations. If your character/creations have been archived in error, please reach out to staff and we will retrieve them for you.
In-depth application rules can be found in the Application Rules
thread. Please make sure you read them in their entirety before applying.Image Rules
- You must have an avatar that represents your character in use on your character accounts. Avatars must be 250px x 400px. If your avatar is not the correct size, you may be asked to crop it. There are many online image croppers out there. One we recommend is LunaPic.
- You may put images in your applications or posts but they may be no wider 400px
- Signature files must be no larger than 400px wide and 200px high
- There is an optional image for your User Profile that is 250px wide by 100px high.
*Rules are subject to change at site staff’s discretion
- There is no word count on Maelstrom, nor post matching rules
- Threads operate on liquid timelines. That means that your character can be in as many threads as you'd like at the same time.
- When you post a thread, make sure you mark it "Public" or "Private" so others know whether or not they can join. If it's ask to join, please indicate it in the thread title or tag
- When joining a thread, you may join any thread marked "Public" without asking the thread starter
- Since Maelstrom has the jcink Alerts system, if your thread partner is subscribed to the thread, there's no need to tag someone. However, if you'd like to tag the writer in a starter thread or as a courtesy, use the following:
|@[name here, must include the brackets!]|